photo essay by Phil Grout
Hanover Magazine joins in the celebration of 2015 as the Year of the Pennsylvania Barn – so designated by an act of the General Assembly of Pennsylvania.
“Barns are at the heart and soul of our Pennsylvania farms and communities of which they are part,” the resolution points out. “Barns are visual reminders that hard work, productivity and ingenuity are integral to our identity as Pennsylvanians no matter what our occupations and whether we hail from cities, towns, rural areas or farms.”
Historic Gettysburg Adams County (HGAC) has worked to preserve, restore and promote the historical heritage of Adams County. Ten years ago the HGAC was awarded a grant to establish a registry of historic barns in the region as well as providing information on barn restoration. To date, nearly 200 barns in Adams County have been added to the registry.
“Pennsylvania leads all 50 states in the total acreage of agricultural preservation easements,” according to the resolution. “And the barns standing within those easements have a central function in providing shelter for animals and storage for crops and equipment.”
The following eight barns are just a handful of the historic barns of Adams County which are part of the HGAC barn registry – encouraging “efforts to honor and preserve this uniquely Pennsylvanian architectural form.”
Richard & Jane Fox – The Fox Barn is an 18th century Sweitser style located at 410 Hoovers School Road, East Berlin. It has a longer and steeper southern roof and the entire structure was originally covered in thatch. The design enabled beams to slide to make room for a larger hay loft. Massive stonework strengthens the foundation.
George Mark – The standard Pennsylvania barn of George Mark is located at 341 Wolf Road, East Berlin. Built in the late 1800’s it has a basement drive through and gable-end ramp.
Anne Zero – The 1886 barn of Anne Zero, 20 Lincolnway East, New Oxford, served as the Washington Schwartz Apothecary Shop. The ornately decorated south facade is now a gathering place and garden for family get togethers.
Gretchen Davis – This stone ground barn belonging to Gretchen Davis, 548 W. King Street, East Berlin, was built circa 1814. It is constructed of stone and hand-hewn rafters and beams.
Beth Thomason – A standard Pennsylvania barn with gambrel roof and bead board siding of Beth Thomason, 170 Stony Point Road, East Berlin.
Julie Holland – Built in the early 1800’s, the barn of Julie Holland is located at 257 Chestnut Hill Road, Hanover. It is a standard Pennsylvania barn with a gable end ramp built into the bank. It’s now home to a flock of sheep.