by James Rada Jr.
A married man in Hanover had never sent roses to his wife for a very long time. So one year he asked On Angel’s Wings in McSherrystown to have a bouquet of roses delivered to his wife by an angel.
So Trina Beckner, one of the owners of On Angel’s Wings, had her father-in-law dress up in white with wings on his back to deliver flowers to a very surprised and delighted wife.
The “we-remember-when” story about the angel delivery is just one of many examples of how Hanover florists help love bloom. There are half a dozen florists in town and one nearby in McSherrystown, and though some of the shops are owned by the same person, they use different designers who have take pride in creating arrangements that tap the flowers’ colors and shapes in just the right way to evoke just the right feelings.
Whether it’s a painted message on a rose petal (Cremer’s Florist) or an arrangement that is exceptionally tall or broad, creations from Hanover florists often evoke awe, appreciation and love.
“It’s fairly new for us, but we’ll paint ‘I love you’ on a rose,” said Amy Gingrich with Cremer’s Florist. “We’ve even painted ‘Will you marry me?’ on roses.”
Gingrich’s also put together a funeral arrangement last year that had flowers formed in the shape of a steamroller, a Miami Dolphins helmet, and a couple other items that meant something to the deceased man.
“You need to find out what the customer likes to create something special that will mean something to them,” Beckner said.
Her designers once put together a casket arrangement that included moose antlers.
However, Red roses, not antlers, are still the flower of choice for Valentine’s Day. That doesn’t mean that they have to be sent in a traditional bouquet. You might even flaunt tradition to have your local florist put together an arrangement that might not be typical, but will mean something to the person receiving the flowers.
“Everything we send out makes someone’s day because they have meaning for that person,” said Tracey Bollinger, one of the owners of the Shearer’s Florist and Love, Inc.
She said that her drivers find that making deliveries to the residents at nursing home and senior home are the most-heartwarming for them.
“They don’t get out a lot and so they are always so happy to see our drivers,” Bollinger said. “The flowers warm their hearts and that warms our drivers’ hearts.”
- Valentine’s Day is the single biggest day of the year for florists.
- The biggest thing to remember for Valentine’s Day flowers is to order early, especially if you want your flowers delivered. Florists order roses well in advance of the holiday, often based on previous years’ sales; the longer you wait, the greater the chance you’ll run into of the florist running out of roses.
- If you see an arrangement you like in a picture, take it into your local florist. They can probably replicate it, although depending on the season, they may have to make substitutions for out-of-season flowers.
- Visit the store so you will know what you’re getting. A lot of times with the arrangements you see online, the flowers are pulled to the front to make the arrangement look fuller.”
- By shopping local for your flowers, you get the full value of your money without any service fees that the internet florists build into their prices. By eliminating the service fee you get more flowers.
- Ask about in-house specials.
- The low-cost flower that you get online are often a lower-quality flower. This means they may not last as long or have the same vibrant colors as the flowers in a florist shop.
Hanover’s local florists
A Little Bit of Love
487 N Blettner Ave, Hanover, (717) 632-2488, www.alittlebitofloveflorist.com
Country Manor Florist
1081 Carlisle St. Hanover, (717) 633-7543, www.countrymanorflorist.com
219 East Walnut Street, Hanover, (717) 637-6621, www.cremerflorist.com
Love Inc. Floral
101 Wirt Ave., Hanover, (717) 632-5462
On Angel’s Wings Florist
358 Main St., McSherrystown, (717) 646-9618, www.onangelswingsflorist.net
Pressell’s Florist & Greenhouses
635 Broadway, Hanover, (717) 637-6636
121 Centennial Avenue Hanover, (717) 637-6281, shearersflorist.com